Thursday, August 6, 2009

Going well!

We are allowed to visit the girls twice a day. From 9:00-11:30 am and again from 4:30-7:00 pm. We are not staying near the orphanage due to the area and availability of suitable living arrangements. Our facilitator took us to a hotel in the main part of town instead. (Nice and the service desk staff speak ENGLISH!) We have to take a taxi back and forth each visit. Honestly... you may need to pray for our safety in route more than anything here! I have not noticed any type of speed limit sign, but it is hard to read when you are flying through town weaving in and out of traffic! As far as the traffic lanes... well. They do have painted solid white lines, but they serve as more of a 'suggestion' than a rule. There seems to be an ongoing challenge for the drivers to see how many cars they can squeeze side by side on the road as well. Hey.. run out of room? No problem, there is still the sidewalk! We did find out on several occasions that they have really good brakes on the cars! We have noticed that parking is not a problem here... they will park ANYWHERE! Anyway... enough about that.

We went back to visit this afternoon and just happened to get there in time to see Sophia and Anastasia coming out all 'cleaned up'. We thought they had just prepped them for our visit at first, but then found out they were on their way to have their photos taken for their passports (for when we get done!). Our facilitator team and an orphanage nurse were taking them... and had room for me to go! Tim stayed at the orphange until we got back. I was glad I went. First, Sophia was looking out the other door calling Momma when I opened my door. She turned her head, saw me and grinned big! Then when the car started... she got very anxious. She was tense and whimpering some. Her first real car ride and she was scared to death. The nurse and our translator kept talking to her. I was too, but of course, she didn't know what I was saying. I held her hand and rubbed her arm. She started to relax after a bit. The trip wasn't very far. We went to get out and the traffic going by scared her as well. It was a big reminder of how limited their lives have been. They will adjust, but it will take some time. We will have to take it slow so they will not become overwhelmed in their new environment. Anastasia on the other hand... should no signs of concern. She was sitting on my lap during Sophia's photo and then returned to me after her photo. When it was time to go, the nurse tried to take her hand since I had Sophia on my lap. Anastasia let her know that was not going to happen and then took my other hand. That was BIG deal for me. We made it back to the orphanage and started our playtime. We had brought an inflatable beach ball with us. We got it out towards the end to play. The play area was so dusty/dirty that the ball was covered in it...as were the girls in no time at all. Thank goodness for baby wipes as we were able to clean them up prior to returning them to their group! Today they both went back into their groups without much fuss. This makes us feel better... we think this means they are starting to understand that we will be back! :)

7 comments:

  1. Pictures for passports!!! They are already checking things off your new LIST OF THINGS TO DO. This is all very exciting. Remember-- I am keeping your time schedule this week so feel free to update the blog as much as you like! We love yall very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am echoing Lori's thoughts...
    check an item off...
    Love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, things are moving quickly!:) I'm happy your girls are doing so well! Have fun and keep posting those picrtures, they are so sweet!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What GORGEOUS little girls!!! WOW!! I am so sorry that we missed you in Kiev, but we were hardly there - in and out and on our way to Kramatorsk! Maybe on the way out?? I'm so glad to have caught up with your blog - so glad everything is going so good! I'm really, really happy for you!! Will you keep their names Sophia and Anastasia or will you change them? We are having a TERRIBLE time coming up with a name for "Simon"!! Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their smiles are worth a million bucks! Glad to see things are progressing. Nastya likes seeing pictures of the detsky dom the girls are at and then telling me about the one she was in. Y'all in our nightly prayers! - Tony, Dawn & kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious! Does you heart melt everytime she says momma? I am so happy for you!

    P.S. Fingerprints are BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey ya'll. I only just am able to check my e mail at the library since I am in the middle of moving. Glad to read of how well everything is going. Love you and are praying it's all is completed quickly and with no problems.

    ReplyDelete